Monday, April 9, 2012

Monkey Hunting!

This Easter weekend was filled with fun, family, adventure, and a bird rescue. I finally had a chance to use my new kayak. I took her out on the Silver River,  most known for its wild Rhesus monkeys. You may be wondering how there are wild Rhesus monkeys in the heart of Florida.
According to Joe Kegley, writer for Wildlife South, "In 1936, the owner of the Jungle Cruise at Silver Springs, Colonel Tooey, came up with the idea of creating a monkey island on the Silver River to entice more tourists to the area. Not thinking the monkeys would swim away, he placed them on the island. The monkeys did indeed swim off the island and propagated. The monkeys can now be found up and down the Silver and Oklawaha river corridors" (2007). Here are some pictures!


    
   


After my adventure on the river, I went home and took one of the best naps of my life. This delightful moment of rest and serenity was abruptly ended by my dog. She decided to wake me up by jumping on my bed, and barked until I eventually succumbed to her efforts. It was good timing though, as I my dad wanted to take me shopping for business attire before the stores closed. I just received a corporate marketing internship with Advanced Disposal, so he wants me to dress nice. But, we never made it to the store because of one lucky snake bird.
In the car port we noticed the bird struggling to walk. When we got a closer look we realized it had rope wrapped around its beak. With Josh's help we managed to rid the bird of its problem, and freed it in a lovely pond.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment