Sunday, November 11, 2012

SURPRISE!: Hiking Adventure

What words can describe this weekend? Magical, humbling, connecting, natural and painful. Definitely can't forget painful. So painful in fact, I'm staring at a cold Sierra Nevada and a bottle of Aleve, hoping for the remedy to ease my sore limbs and back. Walking up and down a maze of foliage, roots and streams with a 30 pound pack weighing you down can really burn. 

The experience I received was well worth it. Torreya State Park offers intense trails running along Florida's largest river, the Apalachicola. I saw jagged cliffs, babbling creeks, and wild pines reaching to the heavens that opened up at night. I had never seen such an abundant amount of stars. The night even offered a glimpse of the cosmic dust that composes spirals in our stunning galaxy. 

My dog, Sky, seemed to enjoy the adventure. She was very anxious upon entering the trail, but seven miles of hiking brought her to a calm state. She earned the trail name, Poodle, for her lack of bravery and interest of the outdoors. I'm beyond excited to conquer new trails as I train for a week on the Appalachian. Bring it on Mother Nature!













No comments:

Post a Comment